POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic camera : Re: Stereoscopic camera Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stereoscopic camera
From: Warp
Date: 28 Oct 2007 05:13:01
Message: <472460ad@news.povray.org>
Paul Bourke <pau### [at] uwaeduau> wrote:
> A stereoscopic camera for PovRay.
>    http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/stereopov/

  I don't completely understand
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/stereopov/offaxis.gif

  The two arrows on the "eyes" are completely parallel, as if indicating
that the "eyes" are looking at infinity. However, the fields of view would
indicate that the "eyes" are actually looking at the center of the projection
plane. Which one is it?

  The example image at the bottom of the page also confuses me. If
I understand it correctly, the green sphere is at the projection plane,
where the "eyes" are focused, and thus remains at the same place in both
images. The blue sphere is closer to the camera than this focus point,
and thus gets doubled (with inverted parallax), and the white sphere is
farther away from tha camera than the focus point and also gets doubled
(with normal parallax).
  The floor tiles don't seem to match, though.

  (However, now that I look more closely, it seems that the floor is
actually some distance away from the cube, deducing from the shadow.
This was rather confusing. Perhaps it would be clearer if the cube
standed on the floor instead of hovering?)

--
                                                          - Warp